Monday, June 9, 2008

We ALL need a vacation

So it's a major long shot, but there is a plan to introduce new legislation next year that would require Americans to get paid vacation time. Not only that, but three weeks of paid vacation time. Every year. It's still less than other industrialized nations, and we are currently the only industrialized nation with no paid vacation, but it would seem so outrageously generous to overworked Americans. Of course, the downside is that the legislation is not expected to even come close to passing. It's a nice thought, though.

Here is the NYT article that mentions the legislation and talks about the benefits of vacation. As though we didn't know.

2 comments:

Jenny Grace said...

So glad I work for the government and get 3 weeks of paid vacation plus another 12 days of paid sick time. SO glad.

Daisy said...

I'm a schoolteacher, so I get the summer "off" (unpaid), but no flexibility during the 9 1/2 months I'm teaching. It's a mixed bag. The summertime allows me to work with my handicapped son, making sure he doesn't regress between school years.