Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"You missed the bus."

Every Tuesday and Thursday, and sometimes other days, there is a girl at my bus stop at the same time I am. She is mentally handicapped, and very small. Every day when I walk up, she's already there, and I say cheerfully, "Good morning!" or something of the sort. Every time, she responds the same way: "You missed the bus." And I usually say something along the lines of, darn, I'll have to wait for the next one. But this morning, I knew she was wrong. The bus came almost immediately following our exchange. It's just a ruse, she just wants me to think I missed the bus. She's not referring to a different bus, because only one stops at our stop. So, this morning, I suppose to make up for lost trickery, she says, "I was here first." And I replied, "Then you get on the bus first, of course." But she always gets on first. What kind of a person would I be if I bum rushed a very small handicapped girl getting on the bus? And what's with her attitude? She's always sweet as pie to the bus drivers, but I swear, when she talks to me, there are thorns in her voice. She's like a devil child, but only I can see her horns.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

There is this really nice handicapped guy at whole foods, you should go talk to him. I chatted with him, then about 15 minutes he asked me if I remembered him. Believe it or not, I did. But he is very friendly, and he has a halo over his head I think.