Monday, July 21, 2008

A is for Amaranth

Amaranth, a “golden seed” that was apparently very popular in times past (way past), is double delicious! I understand that it’s making a comeback as people start avoiding trans-fats and hydrogenated-this and partially hydrogenated-that. In my quest to do just that, and eat more “whole” foods, I came across a recipe for Apple-Walnut Amaranth. I bought some in bulk from Whole Foods, and after mixing one cup of the golden seeds with three cups of plain soy milk, one diced, cored apple and a dash of cinnamon, and boiling and then simmering (covered) for half an hour, I can’t keep my hands off the pot! It’s delicious, kind of like cream of wheat in texture, but better and way more delicious. I would HIGHLY recommend amaranth to anyone looking for something to add to their kitchen repertoire. Amaranth is amazing!

No comments: