Thursday, June 25, 2009

Insomnia

I'm not one to suffer from insomnia. Usually. In fact, I can sleep some 20 hours a day if I need (want?) to. Well, that particular rule is out the window. Here is a bulleted list of the potential reasons that I can't (bad word) sleep at night:
  • The job market
  • The fact that after looking for over a year, all I can find are low-paying, short-term jobs
  • My law degree, which cost $100,000 and is worth about $10/hour. I made more before law school.
  • Planning my wedding
  • Paying for my wedding
  • Guilt over the fact that Rex makes money, but absolutely hates his job. I get to stay at home all day.
  • Staying at home all day, feeling like a total loser.
  • Rent, which apparently has to be paid every month. We don't make enough to pay it every month!
  • Medical bills. A few thousand worth.
  • Medical billing companies that have no sympathy for the unemployed.
  • The fact that I'm not actually applying for jobs full time. That's what they tell you to do. What they don't tell you is that (a) there aren't enough jobs to take up that much time applying (b) after a while, it's hard to motivate because it feels so futile.
  • Basically? It all comes down to money. You need it for EVERYTHING, but we really don't have any. I have $76 in my bank account, which is great when you don't have a job and therefore don't have more coming in.
I'm so stressed out!

6 comments:

Jenny Grace said...

Eep!

~Mariah~ said...

I haven't been sleeping either, though I expect mine has more to do with medication than worry. Or maybe medication AND worry. I mean, my new drugs do cost $800 a month. ~;o( Maybe we should have an all night movie party, with lots of wine, to cheer us up?

In all seriousness, please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Love you much, my dear friend!

Hayley said...

I'm sorry, I love you. I know that doesn't pay the bills, but I can try!

Rebecca said...

Did you see the new judicial clerkship post for a district judge in Greeley?

Also: I second the up-all-night movie-a-rama concept. How in God's name did you learn all of the bar material??

Ugh.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

Paris N. said...

Thanks loves, for all the supportive messages.

Miss K, I did apply for those clerkships. As well as the ones in Brighton and Denver.

All night movies would be fun!

Amity said...

I really, really feel your pain.

Hang in there! Insomnia is good for reading a lot....