Thursday, November 29, 2007

Electronics for Kids (that should be oxymoronic)

From my treasure trove, the New York Times, an article about how kids these day vastly prefer electronic toys to traditional ones. I hate this trend, as do educators and pediatricians. But apparently, kids will have it no other way. And, basic electronic devices designed to emulate adult "toys" like cell phones and computers are insufficient. They must be relatively sophisticated and functional, or kids will reject them. To make it worse, they have come up with an acronym: KGOY, which stands for "Kids Getting Older Younger." I ask you, what if we just said "NO" to the kids? I think it's awful what we have fostered this in our children (and ourselves, but at least we"re grown ups). Toy companies are making big bucks, but our kids are becoming more ADD than ever. If you over stimulate them, they will never be easily entertained. Which is a virtue, I promise.

No comments: