Monday, November 26, 2007

Obama, Hillary, and Red Lady

So, after much deliberation, I have decided that I am a Hillary supporter for '08. What's wrong with Obama, you ask? He does not support the repealing of the 1872 mining laws, which is a MAJOR problem. These laws allow large corporations to buy public lands for $5 an acre (yes, that's right, even today), and then mine the hell out of them. They are seriously outdated laws, and Obama has publicly stated that he does not support the repeal of them. Hillary would likely do so. That, for me, was the deciding factor.

Why do the 1872 mining laws matter to me? I am from Crested Butte, in which our Mt. Emmons (aka Red Lady) had one of the richest molybdenum deposits known in the world. Kobex Corporation wants to mine the moly, and has begun the permitting process to do so. Why now, you ask? Well, a few years back, they bought the property for $5/acre. From the public. And Bush supports this law. So does Obama. Obama = Bush when it comes to my home town, and a mountain that I saw looking out my bedroom window as a child. Which would subside if mined. That is NOT cool. Plus, it would ruin Crested Butte, which would revert to a mining town, and the tourism economy would likely tank.

No comments: