Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sometimes, I just can't like everyone

Most law students are hideously irritating people, so it should come as no surprise that I wanted to shove pencils in my ears this morning. There's this girl in my administrative law class, and I don't know her name, but I was sitting here thinking about how annoying she is and how much I detest her, when she began to speak. The following ensues:
Annoying girl (AG): The people at Starbucks always make fun of me for ordering child size drinks.
Me (interjecting, OBVIOUSLY not thinking): You could order a short, which is what they call it.
AG (suddenly very agitated): I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE TO LEARN A NEW VOCABULARY TO ORDER A DRINK AT STARBUCKS, AND I THINK IT'S UNREASONABLE OF THEM TO EXPECT ME TO.
Me (trying to calm down the crazy): Oh, well, 8 ounces is a traditional size for a cup of coffee (?).
And in my head: Holy god woman, if you hate it so much, why do you go there enough to know a guy who "always" makes fun of you for ordering child size? You don't have to like Starbucks and you certainly don't have to go there, they sell coffee lots of places. And you exaggerated by saying "the people at Starbucks always make fun of me" because you then gave away that it's one guy. Anyway, my strategy for dealing with places that I really don't like is to NOT GO THERE, if I can help it. And there is a coffee shop INSIDE THIS BUILDING, and it's not Starbucks. Like they say in the law, vote with your feet (and leave).

No comments: