Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Obama the "apostate"

From my favorite source, the NYTimes, an op-ed piece about Obama's Muslim heritage. It's a really interesting lesson in Muslim culture and how it could affect Obama should be be elected as our President. You have to read the whole piece--halfway through you kind of feel like it's just another Obama-bashing article (especially if you link to it from my site!), but that's not all there is to it. It's just an interesting tidbit I hadn't thought about.

Here's the gist: Obama was born to one Christian parent and one Muslim, but apparently there is no such thing as "half-Muslim," it's simply not permitted. Anyway, Obama renounced his Muslim roots in favor of the Christian side, and is wholly Christian (we know this--remember Reverend Wright?). Well, under Muslim law, renouncing the Muslim religion is punishable by death (it's worse than murder, and murdering an apostate as they are called is not a punishable offense at all). The point is that Obama would probably not be able to travel to areas of the world with Muslim populations, because Muslims are essentially under an obligation to kill him. Islamic security guards couldn't even do their job, because it would be contrary to their religion. So, the idea that having Obama for our President would elevate the status of the United States in the minds of Muslim countries is probably false, and in fact, it may just have the opposite effect.

5 comments:

Jenny Grace said...

I know you're a Hillary gal, but really, do you see this as a worse alternative than McCain's potential interactions with the Middle East? Personally, I do not.

Paris N. said...

I hadn't intended to convey any opinion on the relative merits of Obama's and McCain's foreign policy potential. I would hope that it's clear that I am not a conservative, and that I don't revere McCain above any liberal in any relevant policy areas. I do, however, think that McCain has the potential to tear Obama to shreds should they run against one another. I sincerely hope that any way it all goes, we end up with a democrat in the White House.

Jenny Grace said...

Mm, yes, Obama will lose in November; I think that's pretty much a guarantee. Actually I think that at this point HIllary would lose in November as well, simply because the Democratic party has managed to so utterly f*** itself with its divisive ways.

Jenny Grace said...

Which is not to say that I will be hoping for their downfall by any means, I just don't see a lot of room for optimism.

Paris N. said...

I (very sadly) agree with you about the democratic party. It should have been so easy, but we failed. Miserably.