Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I HATE MY JOB

Let me just repeat, I HATE MY JOB. I used to love this job, it was awesome, I was very autonomous, it was flexible, and I felt appreciated. Now, I no longer have any autonomy, the flexibility has become rigid, and the appreciation evaporated. It's the group, not me, causing these things, so at least I know I'm not a total failure. A month ago, I was in charge of both our volunteers (15 of them) and our publications/printed materials. Now I'm doing internet research that a monkey could do. I did NOT come to law school to research S&P's 599, or the Dow Jones Industrial Average. I want to be an environmental lawyer, not a stock analyst. And yet... I really just want to cry I am so frustrated, because essentially these guys have totally screwed me, but I still have to give them my time. And I don't even get anything out of it, because I work for work study, which is money that I could just get as loans if I didn't have to sit here deciding what financial information I think should be a part of the interface that we use to analyze corporate pledges. I AM NOT A MONKEY, but I sure feel like one. Also, my total inability to stand up for myself and tell them that I don't really like being treated like a chimp (or chump, whatever you prefer) doesn't help.

4 comments:

Jenny Grace said...

It's funny how easy you can go from loving to hating your job. I did the same thing with my last job, and as soon as I got out of there my whole life was SO MUCH less stressful.

Good luck!

ecolassie said...

wow, this happened (is happening) to me too!! I too feel your exact frustration at the company totally screwing you over and not appreciating you. My job has gone from busy and important to ABSOLUTE ZERO. Now I make it my personal challenge everyday to DO NO WORK WHATSOEVER and instead use my time to plot the demise of my shithead boss.

If you truely HATE your job then this link should make you smile:

http://www.dooce.com/archives/daily/01_17_2002.html

Paris N. said...

Yay for commiseration! I think I'm going to quit, and just be broke as all hell. Miss Lady Jay, the link to that dooce post doesn't work...GAH! Can you try again, I wanna read it. Miss Grace, I hope that your ankle is healing and that things go up, up, up for you now!

Jenny Grace said...

Oh I'm doing alright, provided that my parents' house doesn't parish in this fire that is. The fire has subsumed all bad thoughts about cars and ankles.