Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Becoming Mrs. Rex (part 1?)

I've known for a while that I'm going to take Rex's surname when we get married, but lately it's started to become apparent that I might want to go ahead and become Mrs. Rex now, rather than later (I don't want my full name on here, so we'll pretend he's Rex Rex). After all, I will become a bona fide attorney, with a license and registration number, in May. Wouldn't it be simpler to start out as Mrs. Rex, rather than having to change the damned information with the Board of Attorney Regulation after three months of practice? On a more practical note, wouldn't it be nice to actually be Mrs. Rex the day of our wedding, rather than having to just start the switch after we've said "I do"? I certainly think so. Which is why I took a trip to the Social Security Administration this afternoon.

The SSA is probably one of the saddest places there is. It's like a cross between a homeless shelter, a halfway house, and a home for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled. You take a number, and wait your turn while these poor (quite literally) people are cycled through. Rex and I were by far the best dressed, wealthiest people there. And we make about $15,000 a year.

On a brighter note, I got that first piece of paperwork handled, and it only took about an hour. So, I'm on my way to becoming Mrs. Rex. Wish me luck, this might be a long, tedious journey.