Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Augusten Burroughs

I got to see my favorite author of all time (aside from a few other all-time favorites) speak at CU with his brother, John Elder Robison. How the Cultural Events Board scored them as speakers in a run-down ballroom, I'll never know, but I was so giddy with delight that I sat (nearly) still for 2 and a half hours, which is definitely a personal record. The best part was that they took audience questions. So, I went up to the microphone and waited my turn. When it came, I said, "Mr. Burroughs, do you still retain your affinity for foil and other shiny things?" And he replied, "Yes, yes I do." To make it even better, John Elder threw in and said, "Well that's a novel question!" I was giddy once more, and if I do say so myself, it was the best question anyone asked all night.

2 comments:

John Robison said...

It was, without a doubt, the finest question of the night.

Best wishes
John

Paris N. said...

John,
I was giddy all over again to see that you commented on my blog. You and your brother are both amazing authors, that I read over and over; and recommend to friends constantly. You are a hero for writing "Look me in the eye." Thanks a million for writing, and your brother too.
-Paris
P.S. I really like shiny things.